Jo @ NW Indiana

Joanna Witulski, Northwest Indiana

Sunday, October 15, 2006

First Posting - Gallaudet Protest & Joanna's Opinon

It is difficult to decide whether to support or not the protests at Gallaudet. As a deaf person, I am with them all the way, if we cannot fight as our own persons, as humans and as an US citizen, what left is there for us to do? Bend to the will of the government and to the will of Galladuet's Board of Trustees (BOT), where the leadership itself has proven lacking over the years?

When I was growing up, I've always wanted to go to Gallaudet because it was a university that believed that deaf people had the right to equal education and valued it highly. I was fascinated by the 1988 protests and had a few teachers attend the protests at Gallaudet. Finally deaf people can be equal as others. Oddly enough as I reached my junior and senior years at ISD (Indiana), my desire to attend Gallaudet....I didn't want to go there at all. This was because I felt that the education at Gallaudet did not meet the standards that it set before 1988. My mother encouraged me to go there, for experience and opportunities. I did and transferred out there after 1 year and a half, with no regrets. I made friends, learned and did what I could do there.

I, nevertheless, am proud of those students, faculty and alumni that have stood with their beliefs that Jane K. Fernandez (JKF) lacked the leadership capability to lead an university, a deaf-centralized and a strong ASL/Deaf Culture location, to changes that impact us on a daily basis. There is a need for a leader who understands those changes, listens to the entire community (from students to administrators), with facts and willingness to ensure the preservation of deaf people's right to be themselves as humans (as anyone else). I wish I could stand with you; however, as I see myself, a divisive person, I'll stand behind the scenes and look for information, facts and support with my words as much as I can.

To JKF - it was never "not deaf enough" for all of us, nor is it for you. Unfortunately if I were in your shoes, I would do the same thing you're doing now. Fortunately for me and for my soul - I certainly know that if I was persistent and do not have the people behind me, I would resign. Leadership is a critical aspect of a community and if only ONE person has it, it bodes (tells) bad for the community. Experience tells me this.

I do not intend to brag, this is because I would know, even if I am declared a leader by other people in my community and state, I am only one because I possess the williningness to learn, to teach and make changes that impact us everyday. Not only that, the people who I work with, who I hang out with, close friends and my families are my leaders. Even those at Gallaudet, agreeing with or opposing the decision made by BOT, are leaders.

I invite people to comment, not because they are only invited, because they need. Speak your heart out.

Thank you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home