Jo @ NW Indiana

Joanna Witulski, Northwest Indiana

Monday, November 20, 2006

Respecting Languages

For someone who speaks fluently as well as signs fluently, respect comes a long way. As I painfully learned this past week when I was on vacation in Florida, visiting my grandmother, I've always wanted to speak instead of sign. My choice. My parents knew and understood the value of signing ever since I was "discovered" deaf at the age of 3 (I was already deaf at 1 year old). They impressed upon me the importance of signing as well as speaking.

I was already speaking fluently when I requested to stop speech classes at the deaf school I attended in my junior year. I already can't hear, so what's the point of training my hearing when I can speak. I guess I already accepted the gift and curse of being able to speak as well as sign fluently. No bragging but I'm an above average lipreader, so I was fine with what I had.

Before I read my letters to my grandmother, I had disillusioned myself as the person who always wanted to sign rather than speak. How intriguing is it to find myself reading MY letters to find out that "oh boy!" I wanted to speak; however, as I learned, I am better for being myself, whether I sign or speak.

Anyway, the relevance of this topic is this....approximately three weeks ago, there was a deaf event held locally. Of course everyone signs - no big deal, it's great. There was a group of students (hearing) learning ASL, cool you think right? Nope, very discouraging.

This group sat at a table away from the deaf people and used their voices, perhaps a flutter of hands here and there but primarily using their voices. WHAT, you say. Yep, ain't kidding you there.

Another thing before I go on. There were two people that I met the year before and I asked one of them " How are you?", the person couldn't answer me. I was momentairly confused. I asked again. The person asnwered me back with "Waiting for (person)". Dumbfoundly, OH.

I encouraged a few friends to go up and talk to them (I was disgusted and I do not mingle well when disgusted). My friends did go and talk to them, when I decided to play a game with them. The group did not know how to play the game so another friend and I explained the game to the entire group, including the other friends. Then we sat down. I asked each to introduce themselves. All of them attended one school in Hammond and most were level 2 ASL students. Signing not bad, but not much talking back and forth, questions, inquiries...just playing the game.

After the game, that was it, they went back and used their voices again. AGAIN? Yeah. Disappointed? Yes. I sent an email to their teacher. I stated "
If we (both of us) made the choice to learn how to talk with our voices, we are extending respect to their spoken language, where is their respect for our primary langauge - ASL?"

Thinking about it, I'm right. If we are willing to learn how to speak, we are extending respect to a language that is not deaf-friendly at all (speaking-wise). If hearing people are willing to take our classes and learn the language, the same respect needs to be extended to ASL (American Sign Language).

Being forced to learn something that is not deaf or hearing-friendly is another story. Growing up with speaking English and signing ASL is a natural way of life. Remember, this applies if the person is a willing learner of both languages. If one doesn't want to learn the language, don't bother learning it anymore than one needs to.

I wonder if parents realize this, or basically anyone out there. Denial of a language that is native to this world creates a frustrated inability to communicate. Denial of lingual acceptance creates a culture that is anti-multicultural. Forcing children to learn a secondary language over a primary language does not create a child with a spongy brain. The children would have to work doubly hard to catch up with the secondary language to maintain "intelligence". A primary language working with the secondary language (parallel method) creates flexibility and choice in how to use language to the benefit and the most of a situation.

You note, I do not say anything about a primary language. In this case as a Deaf American, I sign ASL, speak and write English. ASL and English share words to describe or explain things that we see, imagine and feel. For written language, it is primary to the entire population of America (other than Spanish, French and other languages) that we write English. Speaking English or Signing ASL has the same prinicpal, structure and usage.....in different ways.

Those who use English everyday - that's our primary language as a group of American citizens; however, speaking a language or signing a language is different from a written language. For those who speak English, listen to those who come from the East Coast, Mississippi, Colorado and the West Coast - they don't speak the same type of English that we in the Midwest speak. For those who sign ASL, we all pretty much know that anyone from any point in the US sign a little bit different from those who sign here in the Midwest.

Speaking or Signing a language is not perfect - writing them is. Audists live with the perspective that their spoken language is the perfect language in the world. Manualists live with the perspective that their signing language is the only one in the world. In reality, any version of speaking or signed language is the most appropriate for the region.

Basically, all we need is to acknowledge and respect each other's language and learn it the way others actually use it everyday. Speaking or Signed, doesn't matter - RESPECT does. If you learn ASL and go to a deaf event, don't speak, you will not learn how to use ASL the way deaf people do it. If I learn how to speak, I do not do it the way deaf people speak, I do it the way hearing people in my community speak. I learned French - I can attest to this - I do not learn French the way English people use it. I learn it the way French people use it, that's the best way and closest way to reach the heart, soul and core of French speaking people and its culture.

Again, ask yourselves - am I respecting the others' langauge as I am learning it or am I ignoring the bountiful opportunities to learn another language by reverting back to my primary language?

I learned to speak (fluently or not, don't care, I wanted to period), I am respecting the spoken language used everyday. You learn to sign (or learning), are you respecting the language I use everyday? Ummmmmm

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking on behalf of the group in question, allow me to right the wrongs of this situation:
First:
Watch your e-mail for a full comment on the incident in question, as well as a synopsis of events connected thereto!
Second:
The 'game' to which you allude, wherein you 'introduced' to the group was, in fact, a most expensive endeavor, especially when one is the loser! Said game is normally played with quarters, not $3.00 a pop! Ergo, the fact that there was a host of disinterested parties thereof!
Third:
How dare you lord your supposed educational achievements/ idiosyncrosies to an audience who knows nothing about you! (i.e. on the Blogger Pages) It has come to our attention that you have some serious issues and, in the opinion of this author and a multitude of others familiar with your antics, you walk around with the proverbial chip on your shoulder! You know nothing of what transpired among the members of said group, nor did you make even the slightest effort to investigate same. What right do you have to 'tattle' on any student over whom you have absolutely no jurisdiction.
In the opinion of many, you are overstepping the boundaries for which you are allegedly responsible. Take heed, young lady, for such antics are the stuff that job losses are made of!
Fourth:
Not that we of the 'group' care WHAT you think of us, but, in the interest of fairness and truth, you need to report the 'incident' as it happened, mitigating circumstances and all, rather than the way you 'see' things. As you age, perhaps the wisdom of realization that all is not what it seems may sink in!

December 15, 2006 at 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive the repeat of the comment. This is the first time this user has ever visited a sight such as this. I am usually too busy practicing my 'signing'....and doing such things as taking care of a family and working a REAL job. I usually don't have time for whining about trivialities of life!
(By the way, fyi, I am hearing impaired also....I imagine I'm one of those 'traitors' who was lucky enough to be a candidate for correction of a hereditary problem and I took advantage of the one-in-a-million chance to help myself and save what hearing I have, prior to losing ALL my hearing!)

December 15, 2006 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Jo @ NW Indiana said...

Perhaps you'll find it unusual that I am also an ASL teacher. I push for the "no voicing" rule, this aids in the ability to learn ASL in its native method. I speak fluently in English because I, plus students when we were young, did not sign during speech class. I would expect any person to let me know if my students were not signing at a deaf event.

I was highly concerned that a group would show up at a deaf event and sit clustered around and using their voice, with exception of when ordering or approached by a deaf person. I did not need to investigate further because there was no clear conversation produced by manual language in the group. Perhaps I needed to take the chance and inquired into the fact; however, when one learns a language and goes to an event to use what they have learned, they would build upon that base, expand their knowledge and perhaps appreciate the language further.

The "$3.00 a pop" game has been played at the deaf event since it was introduced. I learned this game with the "$3.00 a pop" method. If it was a concern that the cost was greater than expected, someone could have voiced it. Negotiations is a lost art. Playing the game is a choice, deaf folks paid in too. If others were disinterested, no problem.

I share only what I have learned over the years, interesting lessons they are. This is another lesson for me, I do have responsibilities to what I say. Other people have their responsibilities too. I also have a lifetime of lessons ahead of me, surely I hope wisdom will be as kind to me as it has been to you.

I know lessons that lays dear to my heart. I do not presume to think that I know everything because I do not. I do not presume to teach without understanding what I teach. I only can be who I am as God has given me, whether I like it or not, I can always try to change, but for who?

Thank you for your comments and you certainly have given me something to chew on.

I am only human.

December 21, 2006 at 1:17 AM  
Blogger Jo @ NW Indiana said...

Your second comment is a triviality as well. It is YOUR choice to correct an heritable problem.

I am not for or against the choice of correcting "problems". What I am exasperated about is the reality that comes with fixing "problems". If fixing the "problem" helps you more than another person, great. Nothing wrong about it. The presumption that fixing "problems" is an immediate solution to the sole problem, it does not work for everyone the same way it worked for you.

I do not know how to explain this without the presumption that what I say is right. Heck, sometimes I'm wrong, I'll accept that. I sometimes say things that can twist what I think around. So I'll stop here and let things go as it goes.

December 21, 2006 at 1:32 AM  
Blogger amishwoman1 said...

I go with the "no speaking" role when I teach a sign language class. That is the only way to go with hering students,..if they really want to learn to sign!!

January 12, 2007 at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home