Jo @ NW Indiana

Joanna Witulski, Northwest Indiana

Friday, February 02, 2007

Perspective on Cochlear Implants and ASL

Often we keep hearing how "amazing that cochlear implants (CI) helps me hear", disregarding the reality of what CI fundamentally is. Just a technology tool that has the same function as a hearing aid, only advanced. Basically we're all still deaf.

That is what my mother said when my grandmother wanted me to have CI's back then. "She's fine, there's nothing wrong with her. She's doing good." My parents' belief that I am more than deaf has opened worlds that are usually closed to deaf and hearing communities, without resorting to the pressures of having CIs. They are well aware of realities and they have allowed me to go and do what I need to do, even if it may scare them, after all I'm their oldest kid (my privilege to do so, smiles). There are other people in my life, who have raised me to think of myself as myself, I am grateful for having them in my life.

How can worlds be closed to both communities? Let me relate to you my experience at a recent meeting. The meeting had a presenter about cochlear implants and how it impacted the presenter's life. Somewhere along the way, a comment from the presenter was "the deaf community is against cochlear implants." It upset me. I took the chance to present clarification. The meeting was able to be read by CART (Caption Access Real-Time) so I went ahead and spoke and signed at the same time, normally it doesn't fare well; however, it did go pretty good.

I clarified that the deaf community initially got the message that with cochlear implant, anyone can hear. This was not in respect towards the language and culture that has been around longer than technology has. So once a culture and language is threatened, the response would be resistance or being against the threat. I also informed the people that for those who are familiar with CIs will accept what the technology is and what it does. For those who do not understand, they will resist because they were not given the opportunity to understand. The same thing goes for hearing aids back in the '70s. The same reaction for CIs is the same for hearing aids.

Ok, that's a deaf perspective. What about the hearing side? (Again I emphasize throughout the blogs - general population, not specific), hearing people find sign language and the ability to hear to be offensive and not a survivable capability. Hearing people do not understand what we are all about. Oftentimes, when a deaf person informs the hearing person that they cannot hear, the hearing person would become quiet, turn away and become disinterested in continuing the conversation with the deaf person. Sometimes the opposite can happen, the person can move their lips too big or shout at the deaf person.

With the lack of understanding from both communities, worlds are closed to them, no opportunities are made, no friendships forged, no educational/real life wonders happen, and no communication access is ever achieved.

Recently at another workshop, a presenter mentioned "research shows that a child who can hear and sign achieves more than a child who hears only or signs only." We know that in the real world that comment would be repelled by both communities; however, we have or will meet people who either hear only or sign only and they would be successful in their own right. What about those who do sign, hear and speak, can't they be successful too? They have blended two cultures and two languages, knowing full well that both cultures and languages can never be a true culture together.

Audiologists or doctors who diagnose deafness in babies recommend CI as the first thing to do (what about hearing aids?), without (again general) actually sharing information about deaf community, other parents who are deaf/hearing with deaf/hearing children and the like. The same thing goes for "Do not teach your child sign language." How ridiculous is that? Studies have shown that children learning two languages and more are able to be more open to different avenues, educational challenges and real life scenarios, whether they be deaf or hearing.


Education and Employment are the main concerns of people all over the globe. If both communities cannot open their eyes, minds and souls to the worlds under their noses, the ability to obtain an education or employment will be low. I'm not saying that it is for a fact, actually people do transcend that challenge and prove either communities wrong. It is more of a mindset provided by both communities which can prevent them from being able to break the prejudices, stereotyping and other psychological factors.

Now what can we do to open worlds to the communities all around us? Are you up to the task?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home